The Housing and Community Development Division administers the City’s allocation of State and Federal housing and community development funds. Its goal is to leverage these funds to develop and maintain affordable housing, promote economic development, and support efforts to reduce poverty. The Division is funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Florida Housing Finance Corporation, a state-funded agency.
The Division funds a variety of projects and has acquired and/or rehabilitated a variety of properties throughout the City including:
- Boys & Girls Club/ Flamingo Park
- The London House Apartments
- The Lottie Apartments
- Madeleine Village Apartments
- The Neptune Apartments
- The Allen Apartments
- Meridian Place Apartments
- UNIDAD/North Beach Senior Center
In addition to housing projects, the Division funds a variety of public service activities including:
- Child care for low-income working families
- Grocery delivery program for the elderly
- Mental health services for homeless youth
- Rent assistance for households facing eviction
The Division also oversees the City’s First-Time Homebuyer Program (which provides up to $150,000 in down payment assistance for eligible residents) and the Homeowner-Occupied Rehabilitation Program (which provides up to $70,000 in rehabilitation assistance for eligible homeowners).