Beach Wheelchair Access
BEACH ACCESS (for persons with disabilities)
The City of Miami Beach offers both manual and motorized beach wheelchairs for FREE to assist those who are mobility impaired to enjoy our beautiful beaches.
Example of a Mobi-Mat providing wheelchair access to the beach
- Beach Wheelchairs are available first-come, first-serve from 9 am to 6 pm during the months of February through October and from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. during the months of November through January. We recommend you call ahead at 305.673.7714.
- Beach Wheelchair locations (both manual and motorized) are: 1001 Ocean Drive and South Pointe Park
- The City of Miami Beach both manual Beach Wheelchairs and motorized Beach Wheelchairs available for use. Upon arrival, see lifeguards for assistance.
- The manual Beach Wheelchairs are not self-propelled, so bring a friend to assist you.
- Beach Wheelchair usage is free, but you need to leave something of value (for example, your wheelchair, driver’s license, etc.) to insure that the chair will be returned.
- Only the manual Beach Wheelchair can go into water no more than 6 inches deep. The wheels are buoyant, but please stay near the shoreline.
- The motorized Beach Wheelchairs cannot enter the water and should be used only on land.
- Wheelchair access to the beach is via Mobi-Mats, which are available at select entrances. Mobi-Mats provide a smooth, continuous surface without gaps over the sand.
- Beach Swim Ropes Locations
Example of a Manual Beach Wheelchair:
Example of a Motorized Beach Wheelchair: