West Avenue Neighborhood
Area: The Association is located in South Beach and the boundary is Collins Canal to the North, 5 Street to the South, Biscayne Bay to the West, and the west side of Alton Road.
Membership Requirements: Condominium owners, home owners, renters,business owners and other parties affiliated with the West Avenue Corridor who agree with the purpose of WAvNA.
Meeting Schedule/Calendar: 2018 Schedule:
- February 6 at 6:30 p.m.
- March 6 at 6:30 p.m.
- April 3 at 6:30 p.m.
- May 8: Happy Hour from 5-7 p.m.
- June 5 at 6:30 p.m.
- July: No meeting
- August: No meeting
- September 4 at 6:30 p.m.
- October 2 at 6:30 p.m.
- November: Neighborhood Walk
- December: No meeting
Meetings are noticed by email and are posted on the mission of the Association.
Mission of Association:
- To preserve, enhance, and unify the West Avenue Corridor.
- Enhance the livability of the neighborhood by establishing and maintaining communication among neighborhood residents, local businesses, and other stakeholders within the boundaries of WAvNA, and acting as liaison between our neighborhood association, government agencies, elected officials, and other neighborhood associations.
- Provide a process by which members of the association may involve themselves in the affairs of the neighborhood.
- Promote the Corridor as a great place to live, work or visit.
- Advocate for resources to maintain, enhance or repair infrastructure of the neighborhood.
Summary of Accomplishments:
- Ordinance to prohibit hotels
- Ordinance to prohibit hostels, SEC 142-845(d)
- Ordinance to limit alcohol hours to 2am (was 5am)
- Formed Streetscape Committee to improve West Ave Project
- Formed tree committee to promote shade trees
- Yield-to-pedestrian signs along West Ave
- Conditional Use protections to protect quality of life and property values
- Remove boats illegally docked at street-ends
- Trolley to mitigate impact of Alton Road construction
- Improved aesthetics of abandoned hospital at 600 Alton
- Camouflage pump stations
- Complete sections of Baywalk
- Increased attention from police on traffic enforcement
WAvNA continues to facilitate an open communication with city hall to address our concerns, especially quality-of-life issues.