Certificate Of Occupancy/Completion Info

All new buildings, additions to buildings, or a change in the occupancy or use require a Certificate of Occupancy or Completion before the building being occupied.

Certificate of Occupancy (CO)

A Certificate of Occupancy is issued by the Building Official upon completion of the new construction of a building when a change of use/occupancy happen and installation of electrical, gas, mechanical, elevator, and plumbing systems are per technical codes and specifications of the plans submitted for plan review.

Certificate of Completion (CC)

A Certificate of Completion is proof that a structure or system is complete and all permits related to the project have received all the required inspections to include a passing final building inspection. The Building Official may issue a Certificate of Completion once all the required inspections have been performed and approved for the rehabilitation, remodeling, or repairs of a structure when a certificate of occupancy is not required. This certificate does not grant authority to occupy space before the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy.

To Obtain a Certificate of Occupancy/Completion

Once you have obtained all finals on all permits and sub-permits attached to your master permit, please fill out a CO/CC Request Form and submit it it at the Building Administration's office.

Note: For threshold buildings, the threshold engineer will need to submit a 3 ring binder with all the final laboratory test results.

To Obtain a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy/Completion

You must obtain a TCO/TCC approval for each trade for which you have a required final inspection.

Once you have obtained all TCO/TCC required inspections, please submit the TCO/TCC Request Form to the Building Official's office to request a receipt for the amount to be paid for your temporary certificate. Next, proceed to pay the invoice online, at the payment kiosks in the Building Department's lobbies (City Hall, 2nd floor and at the North Beach Office), or the cashier's stations located on the first floor of City Hall.

If you have questions regarding the process for obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy or Completion, please call 305.673.7610 and select option #6, or send your inquiry to BPI@miamibeachfl.gov.