Who Can Perform The Work

Only licensed contractors or owner/builders may obtain a permit and perform the work. Building permits are issued in the name of the person(s) performing the work. There are no exceptions, this is the law.

Owner/Builder Requirements:

Owner/builder permits are limited to the new construction of one single family residence per 24 month period and interior remodeling of commercial buildings is limited to $75,000 in value.
Under certain circumstances, owners of property may be exempt from contractor qualification and certification requirements. To qualify for such an exemption, an owner must personally appear and sign the building permit application and must satisfy local permitting agency requirements, if any. The owner must also complete and sign a DISCLOSURE STATEMENT which will be provided by the Building Department.

Florida Statutes, Disclosure Statement 489.103 (7) states: State law requires construction to be done by licensed contractors. You have applied for a permit under an exemption to that law. The exemption allows you, as the owner of your property, to act as your own contractor with certain restrictions even though you do not have a license.

  • You must provide direct, onsite supervision of the construction yourself.
  • You may build or improve a one-family or two-family residence or a farm outbuilding.
  • You may also build or improve a commercial building, provided your costs do not exceed $75,000.
  • The building or residence must be for your own use or occupancy. It may not be built or substantially improved for sale or lease. If you sell or lease a building you have built or substantially improved yourself within 1 year after the construction is complete, the law will presume that you built or substantially improve it for sale or lease, which is a violation of this exemption.
  • You may not hire an unlicensed person to act as your contractor or to supervise people working on your building.
  • It is your responsibility to make sure that people employed by you have license required by state law and by county or municipal licensing ordinances.
  • You may not delegate the responsibility for supervising work to a licensed contractor who is not licensed to perform the work being done. Any person working on your building who is not licensed must work under your direct supervision and must be employed by you, which means that you must deduct F.I.C.A. and withholding tax and provide workers’ compensation for that employee, all as prescribed by law.
  • Your construction must comply with all applicable laws, ordinances, building codes, and zoning regulations.

Please be advised that the Owner/Builder is liable for the employees he hires to perform the construction. This responsibility may include the following where required by Law:
     1. Worker’s compensation (for workers injured on the job)
     2. Social Security Tax (must be deducted from the employees wages and matched with the owner’s funds)
     3. Unemployment Compensation (may or may not be required)
     4. Liability Coverage
     5. Federal Withholding Tax

Contractor Requirements:

It is required that every contractor working in the City of Miami Beach must file valid, updated copies of their licenses and insurances with the Building Department before they will be allowed to obtain a permit. The following includes the licensing requirements for State Certified and Registered Contractors:

  • Copy of State Certification with an Occupational License for place or business; or
  • Copy of Certificate Competency or State Registration with a municipal contractors occupational license; and
  • Certificate of Liability Insurance made out to:
    City of Miami Beach
    Building Department
    1700 Convention Center Drive, 2nd floor
    Miami Beach, Florida 33139
  • Liability with no less than $300,000 per accident or occurrence for bodily injury and $50,000 per accident for property damage;
  • Workman’s Compensation;
  • Must show the following information:
    • Name of insured
    • Type of policy issued
    • Policy number
    • Effective date
    • Expiration date
    • Type of insurance

The Building Department has an electronic profile for each contractor showing his or her address, phone number, certificate of competency number or the state certification/registration number, name of qualifier and the expiration date of the occupational or the municipal contractor occupational license, Workman’s Compensation and Liability Insurance.

Request to obtain a pin number:

Each permit has a unique pin number associated to it. The pin number is shown in each Work Permit and it can also be found by logging into the contractor’s CSS account. To migrate the CAP account (Citizen Access Portal) to CSS, please click here. If assistance is needed to find the pin number, please contact the Building Department at 305.673.7610.