The City of Miami Beach’s Division of Emergency Management (DEM) coordinates a comprehensive and integrated emergency and event management system that synchronizes available city and community resources to protect lives, property and the environment through prevention, protection, mitigation, response and recovery from natural and man-made hazards that may impact our community.
DEM works to ensure a more resilient community through collaboration of City Departments and partner agencies. The City’s mission of providing excellent public service and safety to all who live work and play in Miami Beach is at the core of what this department does when impacted by a major emergency or disaster as well as under blue skies.
- Provide situational awareness to City departments and emergency management partners.
- Engage an integrated, all-hazard, risk-based approach for mitigation, response, continuity of operations, recovery, and preparedness planning.
- Employ emergency management strategies that address the ultimate goal of sustainability.
- Work to improve awareness and comprehension of the five mission areas by engaging the whole community in prevention, protection, mitigation, response and recovery.
- Build robust partnerships with local, state, regional, national, and international entities for the mutual benefits of preparedness and resiliency.
Miami Beach Emergency Management is tasked with :
- Reducing vulnerability and exposure to future major emergency and disaster incidents.
- Planning for the most expeditious processes by which the community can rebound physically, economically and emotionally.
- Engaging the whole community in planning, training, and exercising core capabilities under the five mission areas of prevention, protection, mitigation, response and recovery.