THE NORTH SHORE NATIONAL REGISTER DISTRICT
North Shore, located in the North Beach neighborhood, is a densely populated urban area that runs from 73 to 87 Streets. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2009, the historic district contains 473 architecturally significant buildings which include small garden apartment buildings, motels, and institutional and commercial buildings.
After World War II, the North Beach area became a lure for middle-class residents seeking a tropical resort lifestyle, and the architecture of the buildings conveys that sensibility. Roofs are generally flat. Natural stone, slump brick, and patterned stucco cover the Façades. Other eye-catching architectural details include perforated concrete screens punctuated by idiosyncratic pylon forms, projecting concrete fins and decorative modern metal details. Most of the buildings wrap around intimate garden patios.
THE NORMANDY ISLES NATIONAL REGISTER DISTRICT
Laid out in the 1920s according to the tenets of the "City Beautiful Movement," Normandy Isles consists of two man-made islands Isle of Normandy and Normandy Shores reachable via 71st Street, the area's main artery. From there, broad curvilinear streets, with apropos French names, extend and run along well-defined residential and commercial districts, culminating at a centerpiece civic plaza and monument, the Vendome Fountain
The eastern portions of the two man-made islands comprise this historic district, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2008. Although a number of Mediterranean Revival and Moderne style structures can be found among the district's 201 architecturally significant buildings, the vast majority are MiMo-style garden apartment buildings constructed between 1945 and 1963.
THE NORTH BEACH RESORT HISTORIC DISTRICT
The Deauville, Carillon, Casablanca, Sherry Frontenac, and the former Monte Carlo are among this unique mid-century historic district's grand hotels. And while their names might have evoked exotic European or African locales, the resorts were truly all-American, catering to a vacationing public eager to experience an all-inclusive fantasy right in their own backyard.
Each full-service hotel welcomed tourists with a grand lobby, as well as swanky cocktail lounges and supper clubs boasting top-notch acts; thematic restaurants; vast ballrooms, banquet halls, and meeting rooms; a multitude of retail shops; enormous swimming pools, extensive sundecks and solariums, plus a sweeping array of highly popular private beach cabanas.
THE MORRIS LAPIDUS / MID 20TH CENTURY HISTORIC DISTRICT
Designated historic by the City of Miami Beach in 2010, this district runs along a one-mile stretch of Collins Avenue, between 44 and 53 Streets. Once lined with opulent mansions owned by American industrialists, this area contains 14 properties, 12 of which are architecturally significant mid-20th century structures built between 1954 and 1966.
A remarkable five of these buildings are among the most distinctive, grand, and architecturally dramatic mid-century structures designed by internationally acclaimed Miami Beach architect . This extraordinary collection of Lapidus' masterpieces, together with seven mid-century structures designed by other highly respected and successful architects, exemplifies the full aesthetic, social, economic and historic impact that this one single mile stretch would have on the evolution of "Miami Modern" design.
MIMO BUILDINGS OF GREATER MIAMI
Although Miami Beach contains the greatest concentration of MiMo buildings in Miami-Dade County, there are wonderful MiMo landmark buildings and many notable structures from the post-war period scattered throughout the area. Following is a sampling of those resources.
- Ainsley Building (Morris Lapidus, 1952) —14 NE 1st Avenue, Miami
- Bacardi Building (Enrique Gutierrez, 1963) — 2100 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami
- Bacardi Annex Building (Ignacio Carrera-Justiz, 1973) — 2100 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami
- Bay Harbor Club Co-op (Charles F. McKirahan, 1956) — 1155 103rd Street, Bay Harbor Islands
- Brownstone Apartments (Roy France & Son, 1950) — 10178 Collins Avenue, Bal Harbour
- Coconut Grove Bank (Robert Law Weed & Herbert H. Johnson, 1959) — 2401 S. Bayshore Drive, Coconut Grove
- Colonnade (formerly Mutual of Omaha) Building (O.K. Houstoun, Jr., & H. Maxwell Parish, 1969) — 1201 Brickell Avenue, Miami
- D.R. Meade Co. Office Building (Pancoast, Ferendino, Skeels & Burnham, 1960) — 1900 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami
- Dayton Medical Center (Architect unknown, 1961) — 18600 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach
- Hampton House (Robert Karl Frese, 1953) — 4240 NW 27th Avenue, Miami
- Jack Justice Building (Architect unknown, 1959) — 1141 Kane Concourse, Bay Harbor Islands
- Knollwood Condo (Don Reiff Associates, 1959) — 10110 West Bay Harbor Drive, Bay Harbor Islands
- Miami-Dade College Kendall Campus (Pancoast, Ferendino, Grafton & Skeels, Spillis & Candela, 1967) — 11011 SW 104th Street, Kendall
- Miami Herald (Naess & Murphy, 1963) — One Herald Plaza, Miami
- Miami Marine Stadium (Hilario Candela with Pancoast, Ferendino, Grafton, Skeels & Burnham, 1964) — 3501 Rickenbacker Causeway, Virginia Key
- Miami Times Building (Alfred Browning Parker, 1959) — 900 NW 54th Street, Liberty City
- Palm Bay Tower (Eugene Lawrence & Ronald Belk with James Deen, 1972) — NE 69th Street, east of Biscayne Boulevard
- Pan Am Training Facility (Steward-Skinner Assoc., 1963) — Miami International Airport
- Pepsi-Cola Bottling Pavilion (Daverman & Associates, 1965) — 7777 NW 41st Street
- Andiamo Pizza (originally General Tire Showroom) (Robert Law Weed, c. 1960) — 5600 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami
- Professional Arts Center (Herbert H. Johnson Associates, 1969) — 1150 NW 14th Street, Miami
- Shalimar Motel (Edwin T. Reeder Associates, 1951) — 6200 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami
- Sinbad Motel (Tony Sherman, 1953) — 6150 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami
- South Pacific Motel (Charles Giller, 1953) — 6300 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami
- St. Paul's Methodist Church (Robert Fitch Smith, 1958) — 900 NE 132nd Street, North Miami
- Sunshine State International Park Entry Arch (Charles Giller and O.K. Houstoun, Jr., 1964) — 1300 NW 167th Street, Miami Gardens
- University of Miami — MacArthur Engineering Building (Wahl Snyder & Associates, 1959); Memorial Classroom Building (Robert
- Law Weed & Marion Manley, 1948); Pick Music Library (Robert M. Little, 1961); School of Architecture (Marion Manley, 1947) — Coral Gables
- Vagabond Motel (B. Robert Swartburg, 1953) — 7301 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami