New Resident Checklist
Welcome to Miami Beach! We’re glad you’re here.
Below is a checklist of common items new residents need to complete:
- Activate utilities at your new address
- Call City of Miami Beach Utilities Services at 305.673.7440. Homeowners, and possibly renters, need to establish a County utilities account for these services.
Florida Power & Light (FP&L)
Apply for service by calling 305.442.8770/(TTY 800.432.6554)
To report a hazardous condition call 800.4OUTAGE (468-8243)
Teco Peoples Gas
Telephone: 305.940.0139 or 1-877 TECO PGS (1-877.832.6747)
- Utility Services
Call City of Miami Beach Utilities Services at 305.673.7440. Homeowners, and possibly renters, need to establish a County utilities account for these services
- Add local numbers to your contact list
- Important Phone Number List
- Miami Beach Police (non emergency): 305.673.7900
- Miami Beach Fire Rescue (non emergency): 3055.673.7130
- Miami-Dade County Telephone: 305.375.5553
- State of Florida Telephone: 850.245.6240
- Set up cable and internet
- Put trash, recycling and bulk collection dates on your calendar.
- If you’re moving to Miami Beach from out of state, register your vehicle with the Department of Motor Vehicles within the first 30 days of becoming a Florida resident.
- Enroll school-age children as soon as your arrive. Contact the New Student Reception Center: 305.995.1334
- Let us do the driving! Miami Beach’s FREE trolley provides a reliable transportation alternative complementing the existing transit network. Jump on today!
- Register to vote! Do so online or at the Miami Dade County Office of Elections, Stephen P. Clark Center, 111 N.W. 1 St., 19th Floor, Miami, Fl., 33128. You must register at least 29 days before an election.
- Need to update your passport? The City of Miami Beach accepts passport applications Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM only, excluding holidays. The office is located at 1755 Meridian Avenue, First floor.
- Be prepared for a hurricane. Check out our Hurricane Guide Below.
- to ensure you are ready for anything mother nature throws our way.