Vacation Short Term Rentals
Practice Safe Renting
Vacation/short-term rentals (less than six months and one day) have become popular alternatives to traditional hotels. However, pursuant to the Miami Beach City Code (Sec 142-1111), vacation/short-term rentals are prohibited in all single-family homes and in many multi-family housing buildings in certain zoning districts of Miami Beach.
Approved vacation/short-term rentals have the proper authorization and zoning approval for this activity including a Business Tax Receipt. If a building or unit is found to be operating a short-term rental illegally, tenants/visitors will be evicted and fines, starting at $20,000, will apply to the owner.
For more information on illegal vacation / short-term rentals contact Code Compliance at 305.673.7555 or our Customer Service Center at 305.673.7420.
Safe Renting FAQ's
- Does my property qualify to be used as a short-term rental?
Please view the Short-Term Rental Zoning Map here to determine if your property qualifies.
- Is your property listed on the zoning map in a qualified zone?
If so, you are permitted to operate a short-term rental and must obtain a Vacation/Short-Term Rental Business Tax Receipt.
- How do I obtain a Vacation/Short-Term Rental Business Tax Receipt?
Click here to register your online account. Once your account is registered, log into the Citizen Access Portal to register your property as a Business.
- I have witnessed an illegal short-term rental and would like to report it.
To report an illegal vacation/short-term rental click here.
- I am planning a trip to Miami Beach and I would like to see if the property I am considering is a legal short-term rental.
To verify if the unit you are renting is properly authorized for vacation/short-term rental click here.
- Are you considering renting your property?
To check if your prospective tenant has had short-term rental violations in the past click here.