FLOOD AWARENESS ON MIAMI BEACH
This website and the Flood Awareness Guide were created to be your source to help reduce flood risk in Miami Beach. They provide knowledge and information for us all to plan and prepare, and act and adapt to reduce flood risk now and for years to come as a coastal community. Learn more about Miami Beach's Program for Public Information (PPI) and Resiliency Strategy.
The following fact sheets were created to provide focused information about flood risk and ways to reduce that risk. They share overall knowledge about the National Flood Insurance Program as well as important tips for target audiences like renters and prospective property owners. The fact sheets were updated in 2019 to include the most recent flood awareness information.
- 10 Steps to Flood Awareness
- Miami Beach and the National Flood Insurance Program
- Are you interested in resilient construction?
- Are you interested in purchasing property on Miami Beach?
- What to do before, during, and after a flood.
- Learn more about King Tides.
- Keep it Clean! Storm drains lead to Biscayne Bay.
- Do you live in a 2-4 unit building in Miami Beach?
- Are you a business owner in Miami Beach?
- Do you rent in Miami Beach?
- Why extreme rain events cause flooding?
- Flood Protection Assistance
PROGRAM FOR PUBLIC INFORMATION (PPI) ANNUAL UPDATE & EVALUATION REPORT
A Program for Public Information Plan was developed in 2017 to help private property flood risk as well as the cost of national flood insurance premiums for residents and businesses. The plan is updated every year to highlight the progress made toward desired outcomes, review project implementation status and propose recommendations for improvement.
The plan and annual report are part of the Community Rating System (CRS) requirements, a voluntary program under the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) allowing communities to earn flood insurance discounts.
Miami Beach pursued an aggressive goal to improve its CRS ranking from a Class 6 to a Class 5 and was officially awarded the new score in 2019. As a result, many new policies and renewals after May 1, 2019 can save 5% more on flood insurance premiums in comparison with last year. With this score improvement, the City receives a 25% discount, that totals $8.4 million in savings annually. This helps offset increasing federal rates.
The annual update & report show that:
- All projects planned for 2019 were completed
- All performance measures improved or stayed the same
- All 2018 recommendations for improvement were completed or in process
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE PROGRAM FOR PUBLIC INFORMATION (PPI) ANNUAL UPDATE & EVALUATION REPORT
Through the CRS program, cities can convene a committee and collaborate on communication projects that reduce flood risk and increase flood awareness. The program complements the City’s approach to public participation and is a key part of the Miami Beach Rising Above Resiliency Communications. During the last committee meeting held on November 5, 2019, the committee approved the Program for Public Information (PPI) Annual Update & Evaluation Report. During the meeting, the committee also monitored the implementation of the plan through the review of 2019 projects and performance measures. The annual update and report were approved by Commission on December 11, 2019 along with the re-creation of the PPI Committee.