Urban Forestry Tree Initiatives
Heritage Tree Designation
The City of Miami Beach has developed a special program in recognition of the intrinsic value that heritage trees provide to the community. The program not only helps preserve iconic trees but also assists in future management through subsidized maintenance costs.
This unique designation can be initiated by any person with the written consent of the property owner by making submitting a request to the Urban Forestry Division.
For a specimen tree to be considered for heritage tree designation, the tree must be identified through an evaluation by an ISA (International Society of Arboriculture) certified arborist and or ASCA (American Society of Consulting Arborists) registered arborist. They will then determine whether the health and structural integrity of the tree and if it meets one of the following criteria:
- It is a historic tree or grouping of trees, of documented historical significance and value to the City of Miami Beach because of the location or historical association with the community.
- It is a tree or grouping of trees with the exemplary representation of species’ characteristics and high value to the community because of its or their species, size, age, location, distinctive form, exceptional characteristics, or ecological value.
- It is a champion tree or grouping of trees. A champion tree is defined by the State of Florida Division of Forestry as being the largest of its species within the state or by the American Forestry Association as being the largest of its species in the United States or the world.
Have your tree designated as a Heritage Tree Today by applying using the following application: Heritage Tree Permit Application
.Please contact Urban Forestry at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Additional Urban Forestry Initiatives and Programs:
- Tree Giveaway Events
- Arbor Day Hosting
- Community Urban Forest Outreach/Workshops
- Exotic, Nuisance, and Invasive Tree Removal Projects
- Expert Assessment of Hazardous Trees
- Staff Level Arboriculture Training
- Miami-Dade County Urban Tree Canopy Assessment
- Tree City USA Certification Oversight and Tree City USA Designation Since 2005
- Tree GIS Inventory Management
- Tree Hazard Mitigation Actions