These Rules are to be followed by you and in addition, sets forth some of your responsibilities to the City. The Rules cover all types of absences from work, the reporting of those absences, rest periods, lunch hours, etc. You will still be required to comply with the Personnel Rules, Human Resources Department directives, City Manager directives, and Departmental directives. All directives will be posted on the bulletin board and it will be your responsibility to update these Rules accordingly.
- Time off for Vacation, Floating Holidays, and Religious Holidays must be requested in writing to the Division Supervisor or his/her designated representative at least 24 hours in advance of such absence. A form is provided for these requests. The request shall be granted at a time suitable to the Division Supervisor and convenient to his/her work schedule, as far as practicable. Time off under this provision with less than 24 hours notice may be used for up to three instances per pay period year for emergencies.
- All absences from duty not previously arranged for are to be reported as soon as possible, but in no case later than one hour after the usual time of beginning work each day that such absence occurs. After one hour the employee is AWOL for the entire day, unless there is proof that such absence could not be reported within that time. If the cause of the absence is such that it may be expected to be of considerable duration, it shall be reported as specified the first day, together with the approximate length of time such absence is expected to continue.
- In reporting absences of tardiness the following information must be supplied:
- After the above information has been given and recorded on the Absentee Report form, the person calling will be given a number. This number should be written down and kept as it is proof that the absence was reported and is, therefore, for the protection of the employee. MAKE SURE YOU GET THAT NUMBER.
- All Absentee Reports must be signed by the employee when reporting back to work. Any information not correct must be so noted before the Absentee Report is signed by the employee.
- If the employee does not call in or does not call in within one hour after the start of the shift, or leaves without permission after the start of the shift, the absence will be marked as “Absent Without Permission, Without Pay” (AWOL). An employee who is:
AWOL the first time in a 12-month period: Given written notice that the second AWOL (one assigned shift) will result in a suspension of three (3) days;
AWOL the second time in a 12-month period: Suspension of three (3) days and given written notice that for the third AWOL (one assigned shift) the employee will be subject to dismissal;
AWOL the third time in a 12-month period: Subject to dismissal.
Each AWOL day (one assigned shift) will be a separate AWOL or offense in applying the above rule.
The above steps will be followed within a time period of 12 consecutive months preceding the last AWOL offense.
Anyone who leaves without permission after the start of the shift may be subject to greater discipline than that set forth above, depending upon the circumstances.
- Tardiness can lead to disciplinary action, delayed or denied merit increases, or dismissal from employment. An employee who is:
TARDY four times in a 12-month period: Given written notice that the fifth TARDY will result in a suspension of three (3) days;
TARDY five times in a 12-month period: Suspension of three (3) days and given written notice that for the sixth TARDY, the employee will be subject to dismissal;
TARDY six times in a 12-month period: Subject to dismissal.
The above steps will be followed within a time period of 12 consecutive months preceding the last TARDY offense.
- Excessive absenteeism (not to include Birthday, Bereavement, Injury Service Connected, Vacation, Floating Holidays, or Religious Leave Time) can lead to disciplinary action, delayed or denied merit increases, or dismissal. What is excessive depends upon the number of absences, the cause of absences, the duration of the absences, the frequency of the absences, and the prospects for improved attendance. Employees will be given one or more warnings for excessive absenteeism and/or counseling. After such efforts to correct or improve an employee’s record have failed, termination may be required.
- All injuries on the job must be reported at once to your immediate supervisor.
- All accidents involving City vehicles must be reported at once to your immediate supervisor and to the Police Department if in a licensed vehicle, or if it occurs in public streets.
- No City-owned vehicles, tools, equipment or supplies shall be used for personal or private work without permission.
- Normal meal period shall be from __________ to __________. If, for any reason, a meal cannot be taken on any day at the established time, the immediate supervisor (or person in charge) may authorize a change in time and shall notify the Divisional office of the change and the reason for such change.
- Normal rest periods shall be from ___________ to ___________ and from ___________ to ___________. If, for any reason, a rest period cannot be taken at the established time, the immediate supervisor (or person in charge) may authorize a change in time and shall notify the Divisional office of the change and the reason for such change.
- The job supervisor (or person in charge) is responsible during normal working hours for all employees, tools, and equipment under his/her supervision. If the job supervisor or any of his/her employees have to leave the job site, the Divisional office shall be notified.
- After receiving “Regular” status, an employee will be issued uniforms if the job duties require them. After uniforms have been issued, they shall be worn. Any employee reporting for work without a proper uniform may not be allowed to work that day. Employees shall wear issued uniforms for City of Miami Beach employment only, unless authorized.
- Upon termination of employment, for any reason, an Exit Interview with a representative of the Human Resources Department and the return of all City property shall be required.
Employee’s name Identification number
Name of person calling
Reason for absence – Must be specific , such as: headache, backache, toothache, illness in family (who?), cold, dentist appointment, doctor’s appointment, etc.
Is the employee going to the doctor?
Where can the City get in touch with the employee during the day?
Estimated time off from work