HAVE A PLAN | BUILD A KIT | STAY INFORMED
Miami Beach residents and businesses are urged to develop a disaster preparedness plan before an emergency strikes. Know where you will stay when you evacuate, how you will get there, and what supplies you will take. Prepare an emergency supply kit for evacuation and for your return (a minimum of three days of food and water for each member of your household). Consider the needs of elderly and infant family members and pets. Make sure you know where to turn for complete information.
Prepare Yourself and Your Household
- Make prior arrangements to shelter with friends or relatives living in a non-evacuation area.
- Consider checking into a hotel located inland, but call ahead and reserve and ask about the rules on the property at the time of your stay. Check in advance if pets are allowed on the property.
- Public evacuation centers will be made available, but will accept fewer people at each location. Make sure that you take proper Miami Beach identification with you; you may need it to re-enter the city after damage and safety assessments are made.
- Click here for a map of evacuation routes and a list of evacuation pick-up points. Evacuation route buses will take evacuees to the nearest available evacuation center. Riders cannot choose their destination.
- Communication is important. Send a list of friends’ and neighbors’ telephone numbers and copies of important papers to family members who are in areas outside of the storm's path.
- Tell family, neighbors, and service agencies where you will stay in an emergency.
- If necessary, register with Miami-Dade County’s Special Needs Evacuation Assistance Registry
- Review your insurance policies to ensure that you are fully covered. Insurers cease issuing policies when tropical systems are within a certain distance.
- Have a plan to secure your boat (click here for more information) or to take it elsewhere.
- If you cannot take your pets with you, make care arrangements with a kennel or friend. There are County-run evacuation centers that will accept pets (to be announced when necessary) but you should make other arrangements.
- Inventory and take photos of your property and valuables, and store these photos and other important documents in a waterproof container and take with you when evacuating.
- Practice your Disaster Plan.
Stay Connected and Informed
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for real-time updates.
- Download the Ready Miami-Dade (Ready MDC) mobile application from the County's Office of Emergency Management, available via Google Play and the App Store store.
- Text MBAlert to 888777 to receive emergency alerts via text.
- Visit www.mbalerts.com to sign-up for text/email/phone call alerts to receive emergency notifications and automatic weather alerts.