When a Notice of Violation/Stop Work Order is issued, the Chief Code Compliance Officer will make a determination regarding the number of days that the owner of the property will be given to comply.

  • Violations that are issued for unsafe structures will be given a period of two (2) or three (3) days to secure the structure. If the owner has not complied within the allotted time given, the city will proceed to secure the property and all charges incurred by the City will be assessed to the property owner as a lien.
  • Violations for Stop Work Orders or Notice of Violation that require the owner to obtain a permit will be given a period of 30 days to start the permitting process. Violations will be closed once a permit is APPROVED and final inspections pass.
  • If a permit obtained to comply with a violation expires, a Notice of Violation for unsafe structure will be issued.

The process that the owner of the property needs to follow to bring the violation into compliance is written within the violation notice that has been issued. The owner of the property can call 305.673.7610, option #7 to discuss the violation with the Violations' Office staff.

If it is determined that the number of days given to comply is not a sufficient, an extension can be requested by the violator before the compliance date. The request must be made in writing and submitted by mail, e-mail, or in person to the Violations' Section of the Building Department.

For additional assistance with a Building Department Violation, please call 305 673-7610 and select option #7.

NOTICE: Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to the City of Miami Beach.

Additional information on Building Code Violations is available at, Chapter 14, Article 2, Division 3 under Miami Beach Code of Ordinances.