• City of Miami Beach on Issuu
City of Miami Beach
1700 Convention Center Drive
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
Phone: 305.673.7000


It's the law. The City of Miami Beach is guided by the Florida Building Code.  Section 105.1 states: "Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit." (Exemptions on Section 102.2 of the Building Code).

A permit brings you the service of Building Department Plans Reviewers and Inspectors who are experts in their field. In addition to providing advice, they approve each phase of your project, checking to see that the work is done in accordance with the code and the approved plans. Working without a permit is illegal and can result in fines and cause problems if and when you sell your house.

For more information, please visit our Permits page:  https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/city-hall/building/permits/.

A complete set of construction documents including a permit application is required to receive a building permit.

A Permit Application completely filled out including a thorough description of the scope of work.

Submit signed and sealed plans either electronically at www.mbselfservice.com or in-person. Plans submitted must be considered 100% complete to qualify for plan review.

You will be required to pay an up-front permit fee prior to beginning the permitting process. Once all required approvals have been obtained and your plans have been signed off by the plan reviewers, the outstanding balance of your permit must be paid prior to the issuance of your permit and permit card.

For more information on what documents and plans are required, please visit our Permits page: https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/city-hall/building/permits/.

For your convenience, the application process can be done completely online at www.mbselfservice.com. For Instruction guides on how to apply online, please visit www.miamibeachfl.gov/onlinepermits.

Applications may also be brought in-person to one of our Building Department offices: Miami Beach City Hall, 1700 Convention Center Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139 OR North Beach Office, 962 Normandy Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33141.

For faster service, we recommend to make an appointment for in-person submissions at www.miamibeachfl.gov/buildingappts.

The Building Department's offices close daily for lunch from noon to 1 PM.

Appointments are offered for In-person or Virtual.

Homeowner's Permit Assistance: Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 3 PM.

Permit Services: Monday through Thursday, 8 AM to 3 PM.

To consult with a Trade Chief (Plan Review/Inspection): Tuesdays 1 PM to 3 PM and Thursdays 8:30 AM to 11:30 AM.

Records Management (Public Records Requests): Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 3 PM.

For more information, please visit our Contact Us page:  https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/city-hall/building/contact-us/.

The City of Miami Beach Development Review Departments which include the Building Department, Planning & Zoning Department, Public Works Department, Fire Prevention Department, Environmental and Urban Forestry Department, and Parking Department are working towards a 15-day review time(per review cycle) for residential and commercial projects. Please be aware you also need Miami-Dade County approvals for the environmental core and/or impact fees depending on the scope of work. Link to the Miami-Dade Department of Regulatory & Economic Resources Plan Status & Application Submittal Portal: https://www.miamidade.gov/Apps/RER/EPSPortal.

For more information on processing times, please visit our Building Dashboard:  https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/city-hall/building/statistics/dashboard/.

You must apply for a permit and submit plans. If the construction conforms to code and your plans are acceptable, the permit will be issued, and appropriate inspections will be made. Once the permit is Finaled, you must contact the Building Violations section to close the violation.

If the construction does not conform to code, you have two options:

Construction must be brought into compliance or construction must be removed. If the construction is not permitted under any circumstances, then it must be removed.

You must have a permit to demolish, and an inspection must be made to ensure that it has been demolished and the property cleared.

For more information, please visit our Violations page: https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/city-hall/building/violations/.

When work for which a permit is required is commenced prior to obtaining a permit, the permit applicant shall be required to pay $500.00 plus a double permit fee. In no event shall the applicant pay less than $500.00 plus double the amount of the minimum fee as specified for each type of work. The payment of the required fee shall not relieve any person, firm or corporation from fully complying with all applicable regulations and codes, nor shall it relieve them from being subject to any to the penalties therein.

The double fee requirement shall be applicable to all sections of the Building Department noted herein. For the second offense of doing work without a permit, the permit applicant shall be required to pay a $1,000.00 penalty fee plus a double permit fee. For each subsequent offense, the permit applicant shall be required to pay a $2,000.00 penalty fee, plus a double permit fee.

For more information, please visit our Violations page: https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/city-hall/building/violations/.

Inspections depend on what is involved in the project. Simply stated, an inspection is required prior to covering up any part of the construction.

For more information, please visit our Inspections page: https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/city-hall/building/inspections/.

Inspections are performed Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

The following are required for inspection:

  • The approved job copy of the plans and any revisions, and documents must be printed and available for inspection on the project site.
  • Permit Card
  • Recorded Notice of Commencement
  • Property address must be properly posted and visible from the street
  • Job to be inspected must be accessible
  • An OSHA approved ladder must be available if needed

Inspections may be requested, canceled, or re-scheduled via the Civic Access portal.

*Important:  If you are neither the contractor nor the owner, you must be added to each permit for which you seek access to.  To be added to a permit, you must submit a notarized letter from the contractor or the owner giving you consent to be added as a contact.

For more information, please visit our Inspections page: https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/city-hall/building/inspections/.

Owner-Builder Requirements



1. I understand that state law requires construction to be done by a licensed contractor and have applied for an owner-builder permit under an exemption from the law. The exemption specifies that I, as the owner of the property listed, may act as my own contractor with certain restrictions even though I do not have a license.

2. I understand that building permits are not required to be signed by a property owner unless he or she is responsible for the construction and is not hiring a licensed contractor to assume responsibility.

3. I understand that, as an owner-builder, I am the responsible party of record on a permit. I understand that I may protect myself from potential financial risk by hiring a licensed contractor and having the permit filed in his or her name instead of my own name. I also understand that a contractor is required by law to be licensed in Florida and to list his or her license numbers on permits and contracts.

4. I understand that I may build or improve a one-family or two-family residence or a farm outbuilding. I may also build or improve a commercial building if the costs do not exceed $75,000. The building or residence must be for my own use or occupancy. It may not be built or substantially improved for sale or lease, unless I am completing the requirements of a building permit where the contractor listed on the permit substantially completed the project. If a building or residence that I have built or substantially improved myself is sold or leased within 1 year after the construction is complete, the law will presume that I built or substantially improved it for sale or lease, which violates the exemption.

5. I understand that, as the owner-builder, I must provide direct, onsite supervision of the construction.

6. I understand that I may not hire an unlicensed person to act as my contractor or to supervise persons working on my building or residence. It is my responsibility to ensure that the persons whom I employ have the licenses required by law and by county or municipal ordinance.

7. I understand that it is a frequent practice of unlicensed persons to have the property owner obtain an owner-builder permit that erroneously implies that the property owner is providing his or her own labor and materials. I, as an owner-builder, may be held liable and subjected to serious financial risk for any injuries sustained by an unlicensed person or his or her employees while working on my property. My homeowner’s insurance may not provide coverage for those injuries. I am willfully acting as an owner-builder and am aware of the limits of my insurance coverage for injuries to workers on my property.

8. I understand that I may not delegate the responsibility for supervising work to a licensed contractor who is not licensed to perform the work being done. Any person working on my building who is not licensed must work under my direct supervision and must be employed by me, which means that I must comply with laws requiring the withholding of federal income tax and social security contributions under the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) and must provide workers’ compensation for the employee. I understand that my failure to follow these laws may subject me to serious financial risk.

9. I agree that, as the party legally and financially responsible for this proposed construction activity, I will abide by all applicable laws and requirements that govern owner-builders as well as employers. I also understand that the construction must comply with all applicable laws, ordinances, building codes, and zoning regulations.

10. I understand that I may obtain more information regarding my obligations as an employer from the Internal Revenue Service, the United States Small Business Administration, the Florida Department of Financial Services, and the Florida Department of Revenue. I also understand that I may contact the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board at 850.487.1395 or myfloridalicense.com/intentions2.asp for more information about licensed contractors.

11. I am aware of, and consent to, an owner-builder building permit applied for in my name and understand that I am the party legally and financially responsible for the proposed construction activity at the following address:   ___________________________.
Property Address

12. I agree to notify City of Miami Beach Building Department immediately of any additions, deletions, or changes to any of the information that I have provided on this disclosure.

Licensed contractors are regulated by laws designed to protect the public. If you contract with a person who does not have a license, the Construction Industry Licensing Board and Department of Business and Professional Regulation may be unable to assist you with any financial loss that you sustain as a result of a complaint. Your only remedy against an unlicensed contractor may be in civil court. It is also important for you to understand that, if an unlicensed contractor or employee of an individual or firm is injured while working on your property, you may be held liable for damages. If you obtain an owner-builder permit and wish to hire a licensed contractor, you will be responsible for verifying whether the contractor is properly licensed and the status of the contractor’s workers’ compensation coverage.

Before a building permit can be issued, this disclosure statement must be completed and signed by the property owner and returned to the local permitting agency responsible for issuing the permit. A copy of the property owner’s driver license, the notarized signature of the property owner, or other type of verification acceptable to the local permitting agency is required when the permit is issued.


For additional assistance or if you have questions regarding the permitting process, please contact our Customer Service at 305.673.7610 and press 0 or, email at BuildingInfo@miamibeachfl.gov.

Contractors working in Miami Beach are required to be registered with the City. Contractors must file valid, updated copies of licenses and insurances to the Building Department prior to obtaining a permit.  For more information, please visit our Contractor's page: https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/city-hall/building/contractors/.

Building Department Contacts

Book an Appointment