The permitting process begins with the submittal of a permit application, review of two sets of plans, and ends with Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Completion and Final Inspections.
To process a permit, the Building Department requires:
- Permit Application, complete, signed, and notarized by the owner or owner’s representative, and a registered contractor. If owner/builder permit, just the owner needs to complete, sign, and notarize the application. If the property appears under the name of a Corporation, a permit can be issued to a contractor only and will require submittal of a Corporate Annual Report or Articles of Incorporation naming the signer on the application as an officer of the corporation, i.e., president, vice president, or secretary.
- Review here the permitting checklist.
- The Minimum Value for construction is $110.00 per square foot for New Construction and $60.00 per square foot for Alteration/Remodeling.
- Construction Parking Management Plan is required for Jobs over $250,000.00.
- Jobs which value exceeds $2,500, require a recorded Notice of Commencement. It can be recorded in our Records Department or at the Clerk of the Courts. (Miami-Dade County Recorder, Courthouse East, 22 NW 1 Street, 1st floor, Miami, FL 33128.
- 2 sets of plans clearly indicating the scope of work, and pertinent documentation related to the job. Click here to obtain a list of projects required to be signed and sealed by a design professional.
- Based on the scope of work, these sets of plans can be processed and reviewed as Drop Off Plan Review or Walk-Through.
- Payment of up-front permit fees is required to proceed with submittal.
- Once all disciplines have been approved, the outstanding balance of the permit fees must be satisfied before the issuance of the permit and permit card.
- After the permit is obtained, inspections have to be requested. They can be tracked in the Citizen Self Service system (CSS)
- Permit is finalized after approval of all required inspections.
Check the following links for additional information or requests:
- Contractors’ requirements
- Expedited Plan Review
- Homeowner’s Permit Assistance
- Inspections’ Routes
- Inspections’ web page
- Interactive Permit Guide
- Minimum Value of Construction
- Permit Applications and Forms
- Permit Search
- Phased Permit Checklist
- Phased Permit-Packet
- Photovoltaic (PV) Systems
- Pre-Submittal Consultation Information
- Private Provider Packet
- Private Provider Checklist
- Reprieve Program
Building Permits and Inspections can be managed using CSS (Citizen Self Service).
Please click here to migrate your existing Miami Beach CAP account to CSS.
If there is a topic of interest not listed above, it may be found by clicking on the magnifying glass() and searching for a keyword.