The permitting process begins with the submittal of a permit application, review of two sets of plans, and ends with Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Completion and Final Inspections.

To process a permit, the Building Department requires:

  • Permit Application, complete, signed, and notarized by the owner or owner’s representative, and a registered contractor. If owner/builder permit, just the owner needs to complete, sign, and notarize the application. If the property appears under the name of a Corporation, a permit can be issued to a contractor only and will require submittal of a Corporate Annual Report or Articles of Incorporation naming the signer on the application as an officer of the corporation, i.e., president, vice president, or secretary.
  • Review here the permitting checklist.
  • Construction Parking Management Plan is required for Jobs over $250,000.00.
  • Jobs which value exceeds $2,500, require a recorded Notice of Commencement. It can be recorded in our Records Department or at the Clerk of the Courts. (Miami-Dade County Recorder, Courthouse East, 22 NW 1 Street, 1st floor, Miami, FL 33128.
  • 2 sets of plans clearly indicating the scope of work, and pertinent documentation related to the job. Click here to obtain a list of projects required to be signed and sealed by a design professional.
  • Based on the scope of work, these sets of plans can be processed and reviewed as Drop Off Plan Review or Walk-Through.
  • Payment of up-front permit fees is required to proceed with submittal.
  • Once all disciplines have been approved, the outstanding balance of the permit fees must be satisfied before the issuance of the permit and permit card.
  • After the permit is obtained, inspections have to be requested. They can be tracked in the Citizen Self Service system (CSS)
  • Permit is finalized after approval of all required inspections.

Check the following links for additional information or requests:

Building Permits and Inspections can be managed using the CAP (Citizen Access Portal) system until Friday, May 31, 2019.  Afterwards, please log on and use CSS (Citizen Self Service).

Please click here to migrate your existing Miami Beach CAP account to CSS.

If there is a topic of interest not listed above, it may be found by clicking on the magnifying glass() and searching for a keyword.