Employee Handbook

Personnel Rules for the Classified Service
Work Rules, Policies and Procedures
Mission Statement
Welcome Aboard
Civil Service System
Paid Holidays
Annual Leave and Sick Leave
Your Pay
In Service Training
The Personnel Board
Performance Appraisals
Special Awards Program
Disciplinary Action and Appeals
Group Medical and Dental Plans
Occupational Accidental Death Benefit
Pre-tax Payroll Deductions
A Safe and Healthful Workplace
General Employees Retirement System
Probationary and Part-time Employees
Unclassified Employees Retirement System
Deferred Compensation Plan
Resigning, Retiring and Separating from Service

How to

It is the policy of the City of Miami Beach that Safety is of prime importance. There is no substitute for the “Safe Way”, and no excuse for not doing a job the “Safe Way”. In your work you are required to follow the safety rules in effect and wear the safety equipment which is provided.

However, accidents do happen occasionally and if you are injured on the job and in the performance of your duties, and can not work because of this injury, you may receive Worker’s Compensation pay in accordance with State Law. In addition, if you follow the proper procedures in reporting an accident, getting medical treatment, and did not violate any safety rules or regulations, the City may supplement your pay to bring you up to full salary according to union contract or city ordinance.

The Risk Management office is located on the third floor of City Hall. They welcome and encourage any suggestions you may have about safety and can answer your questions about Worker’s Compensation and other related areas.

Employees are eligible for leave after six months of continuous full-time or part-time employment, or upon completion of the initial probationary period.
Annual leave may be used for vacation time and personal business. Regular part-time classified and part-time unclassified employees accumulate prorated hours for annual and sick leave, This is earned on a bi-weekly basis. Regular classified and unclassified full-time employees accumulate 96 hours annual leave and 96 hours sick leave per year during the first ten years of employment.

Annual leave increases as follows: after ten years of full-time service, employees accumulate 136 hours of leave per year; after 20 years of full-time service, employees accumulate 176 hours of leave per year.  At the end of each payroll year, employees will be allowed no more than 500* hours of vacation (annual) leave to be accrued.  Any hours in excess of this maximum will be forfeited on the first pay period ending in January.  (*Annual maximums may be higher or lower as defined in respective union contracts.)  Sick leave accruals do not increase.
(Fire and Police Union personnel should refer to the respective union contracts.)

The City’s attendance policy is covered in the Work Rules.If you have any questions regarding these Work Rules, please do not hesitate to ask your supervisor or call the Human Resources Department for Clarification. If you are going to be late or absent from work because of illness or an emergency you must call your supervisor as soon as possible so that he or she can make arrangements to cover your duties. Unless you call within one hour of the beginning of your work day or in accordance with your departmental rules, you are subject to being charged with ‘Absent Without Leave’ (AWOL) for the time you are away from work.

If you come in over one hour late without prior arrangement, you may be charged AWOL in addition to being sent home. For more details on the specific rules regarding absences from work, reporting absences, rest periods, use of City property, tools and uniforms, refer to your department or Human Resources. Remember that others are counting on your being at your work station regularly and on time. If unpredictable events cause you to be late or absent, just let your supervisor know!

    Bereavement leave pertains to a death in the immediate family and is granted as follows:

  • Unclassified Employees: Two (2) days
  • Classified Employees: Review the Bereavement Leave Policy as provided for by the employee’s collective bargaining agreement.
    Bereavement – Union info chart

Notify your department and Human Resources Department in writing if you change your address or telephone number. This can be very important in case of emergency or if correspondence is mailed to your home. Should your dependents or your marital status change, you may wish to revise:

  • Your designation of beneficiary for retirement or life insurance purposes.
  • Your health insurance coverage.
  • The number of exemptions you claim for income tax deductions.

The Deferred Compensation Plan allows you to set aside money during your peak earning years and receive its value later when you may be in a lower tax bracket. Amounts you elect to save are before tax dollars and any investment earnings on these dollars are allowed to accumulate on a deferred tax basis. This Program may substantially reduce current income taxes and will certainly help provide future financial security. Full details of the Plan are available in the Human Resources Department.

When employees become eligible for one of the City’s Pension plans, they may continue to contribute to a deferred compensation plan. The City will not contribute to the employees’ deferred compensation plan once they are eligible to participate in the pension system.

Administered by UNUM
Customer Service: 1.800.421.0344
Claim Fax: 1.800.447.2498
Website: www.unum.com

AFSCME, CWA, FOP, GSA and IAFF bargaining unit employees with regular status may appeal a disciplinary action through the Grievance Procedure. Employees are encouraged to review their Collective Bargaining Agreement prior to filing a grievance in order to familiarize themselves with the process and deadlines. Grievance Forms are available on the Fish Tank under the Labor Relations section of the Human Resources webpage.

Employees who are under the “others” wage label, who have attained regular status, may appeal any disciplinary action to the Personnel Board by filing a written request within ten (10) calendar days after the disciplinary action has been served. Employees who do their jobs well and conduct themselves reputably, both on and off the job, need have little concern about disciplinary action. The following list contains common, but not all, grounds for disciplinary action including dismissal, demotion, or suspension.

  • Conviction of a serious offense
  • Acts of disgraceful conduct unbecoming a City employee while on or off duty
  • Insubordination or violation of any official order or regulation
  • Imbibing, or being under the influence of intoxicants or narcotics, while on duty or while wearing a City-furnished uniform, whether on or off duty
  • Possession, using, dispensing or selling any illegal drug or controlled substance not prescribed by a licensed physician whether on or off duty
  • Use or possession of alcohol during duty hours
  • Offensive and/or disgraceful conduct or language
  • Negligent or willful damage, waste or theft of City property
  • Incompetence or inefficiency
  • Habitual tardiness or absenteeism, or absence without leave
  • Use of political influence in securing promotion, leave of absence, transfer or change of class, pay or character of work
  • Violation of the Personnel Rules, Work Rules, or department rules
  • A false statement on employment application or related pre-employment papers; falsification of time records or daily report logs

This handbook is meant as a guide. For more extensive information about any topic, please contact the appropriate department. Your Human Resources office will be happy to provide more detailed information or guide you to the appropriate authority. The material in this handbook is subject to change and is not intended as a contract of conditions of your employment.

Administered by UNUM
Customer Service: 1.877.217.5495
Website: www.unum.com

To become a member of the Fire and Police Pension System, the employee must first attain regular civil service status in the Fire or Police Departments in other than civilian status.
Effective September 30, 2000 All Members of the Fire and Police Pension System: will contribute 10% of base pay, longevity pay, overtime, shift differential and extra compensation allowance such as uniform allowance. Members may retire upon:

  • the attainment of age 50
  • the sum of the member’s age and creditable pension service equals at least 70
  • permanent and total disability incurred in the line of duty
  • permanent and total disability incurred other than in the line of duty, after 5 years of creditable service

Members Employed on or after May 19, 1993, but prior to September 30, 2000 will contribute 10 % of base pay and longevity pay. Members may retire upon:

  • the attainment of age 55 with 10 years of service
  • permanent and total disability incurred in the line of duty
  • permanent and total disability incurred other than in the line of duty, after 5 years of creditable service

Members meeting the eligibility requirements of age 50, or the Rule of 70, may participate in a Deferred Retirement Option Plan (DROP).Upon retirement, a member shall receive a monthly pension payable for life. The Plan also has various provisions for surviving spouse, dependent children, and dependent parents.The Fire and Police Pension System is administered by a Board of Trustees consisting of nine members.

  • Three members of the City Administration, other than Firefighters, Police Officers, or the City Manager to beappointed by the Mayor of Miami Beach
  • Three active members of the Fire Department elected by active and retired Plan members of the Fire Department
  • Three active members of the Police Department elected by active and retired Plan members of the Police Department

The Board may engage such service from professionals and consultants as the Board feels are required to transact the business of the Plan. All monies contributed to the pension system will be returned to a member separating from the pension systemprior to becoming eligible for a pension.

For complete details about the System, refer to “Summary Plan Description” provided by the City Pension Fund for Firefighters and Police Officers in the City of Miami Beach, or contact the Fire and Police Pension Office, 605 Lincoln Road, Suite 400, Miami Beach, FL 33139, telephone (305)673- 7039.